Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Friday, March 15, 2013

Briar Patches Are For the Birds



That’s right--they love ‘em!  Plant even a small briar patch and you’re almost guaranteed to see birds that have never visited your yard before.  There’s  a large variety of berry plants from which to choose, including thornless.  Plant enough bushes for you and your backyard birds to enjoy.


It started out to be a leisurely day with lots of sunshine and crisp temperatures.  I was minding my own business flying around looking for a suitable nesting spot or two, when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a hawk!  My heart began to race; and the blood pumped hard into my chest and wings. I flew as fast as I could, but knew I would not be able to outrun this predator.

Frantically I looked around for a safe harbor.  There in front of me was a beautiful thick tangle of thorny branches!  I skillfully maneuvered between the prickly stems and found a spot on which to land.  With my beak wide open I started to pant; trying not to let the anxiety overwhelm me, I looked around for the hawk.  The hawk was flying away.  Whew!  That was a close call.  This briar patch saved my life.  Come to think of it, this would be a wonderful place to build a safe nest!
Grandma Pearl

Attract Birds by Planting a Raspberry Patch
Recipe for Raspberry Cobbler
Chart for Raspberry Varieties, Zones, Ripening Time

photo from greenlimbs.com

No comments: