Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Friday, March 1, 2013

12 Fun Ways to Get Kids Interested in Birds and Bird Watching

When my brothers and I were young, my grandfather took us on an adventure right in our own backyard.  Actually, since we lived in a rural area near large pastures, forests areas and a swamp, wetland and beautiful woodland streams, we ventured much further than our own backyard that day.

Grandpa pointed out all kinds of ferns, wildflowers, bugs, butterflies, tadpoles, deer and birds as we walked from habitat to habitat.  Obviously after all these years I still remember that wonderful day.  It opened my eyes to so many different things that I now talk a walk in my woods every day that the weather allows.

The first way to get kids involved in birds and bird watching is to take a nature walk.  Look to the trees, shrubs and sky no matter where you live.  In the city you can go to the park.  Even if you think you won't discover anything new, I'll bet if you look hard enough nature will surprise you!
Read my article on "12 Fun Ways to Get Kids Interest in Bird Watching" for all kinds of activities sure to spark their interest in this amazing hobby!

                                   First Nature Walk from flickr.com, peter rawsthorne, CC-BY-SA

Your comments are most welcome and appreciated!  Thanks, Grandma Pearl

No comments: