Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Friday, August 2, 2013

Deer Deterrent Resources

A Young Deer on the Edge of the Woods
by Grandma Pearl
I love deer!  Their beauty and gentle nature appeals to me.  Every season finds them with a different shade of brown fur; it becomes thicker in the wintertime to help shield them from bitter cold winds and snow; their soulful eyes, large ears and sensitive nose are ever alert to possible danger.

In the spring, the youngest tag along behind the adults in groups of 3 to 5 and more. Feeling frisky, they like to suddenly sprint from a dead stop, with stiff white tails held straight like flags bidding me farewell!  Spring is when I most often see the young bucks with their newly-blossoming antlers covered in soft velvet.

I love deer, but I hate what they can do to a garden in no time flat!  My favorite deterrent is a natural product that I spray on those plants that my deer find most delectable.  The name is 'Deer Off' and it is manufactured by Havahart*.  The ingredients are all natural, which is what I'm all about; and they include eggs, capsaicins and garlic.  This particular deterrent works by not only smelling bad, but tasting bad as well.  A similar product from the same company is Deer Away 5200.

Deer Off II can be applied a lot less often than other deer repellents I have tried.  I usually reapply it after a heavy rain, but other than that, it lasts a long time.  Because it tastes bad, rabbits and squirrels seem to steer clear of my treated flowers and shrubs as well, which is a definite plus.

 Links to help manage deer in suburban gardens can be found at Cornell University's "Deer Defenses" website, and they include:

There's lots of greenery in the woods for this young deer to enjoy!
by Grandma Pearl
Easy Steps to Creating a Certified Wildlife Habitat
Shop for Barn Wood Bird Houses

Shop For Havahart All Natural Deer Repellent
  



No comments: