Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks Are Back 'Home'

Male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
by Grandma Pearl

A Banner Week For Returning Songbirds!


I knew he was nearby when I heard the distinctive 'squeaky door' sound that these grosbeaks make.  Then I heard the marvelous liquid robin-like song, and instantly thought "my grosbeaks are back home"!
The females are not here just yet, but I'm sure they will be along any day now.  Like the ruby-throated hummingbirds, the males always arrive about a week ahead of the females.
Male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak Eyeing the Buffet
by Grandma Pearl


You can tell these birds are seed eaters from the heavy beak.  It is well-adapted for crushing seeds.  At the feeder my grosbeaks enjoy the mixture I have made that includes sunflower seeds, various nuts, berries, cherries and other fruits and pumpkins seeds.  That mixture also attracts Northern Cardinals, Blue Jays, Goldfinches and Purple Finches among others.
When the Rose-Breasted Grosbeak males take flight, you can see the distinctive white wing patch.  It is a gorgeous bird, and you know, I think he knows he is handsome!
I'm glad they made it back safely from their winter home in South America to spend the summer with me.


Male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak working on a sunflower seed
by Grandma Pearl
 Did you know that these grosbeaks are very fond of potato beetles?  They also love all kinds of other insects and eat tons of them in a season, along with weed seeds and lots of wild fruits.  Here you can see the contrasting white back and the pure white underparts of this grosbeak.
Male Rose-Breasted Grosbeak showing back and underparts
by Grandma Pearl




No comments: