Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Friday, April 5, 2013

A Walk in the Woods in New York State in Early Spring

Robin's nest in pine tree
Photo by Grandma Pearl
The sun is shining brightly and the temperature has finally climbed above the freezing mark!  So this morning I have decided to take a walk in the woods.  In a pine tree along the way I spotted a bird's nest.  This was constructed of mud and grass, about 5 1/2" to 6" deep and about 6 feet off the ground.  I wasn't able to see inside, but here are a couple of pictures I snapped.  By the way, it belonged to a robin that was perched nearby!

Robin's nest from another angle--couldn't quite see inside the nest.
Photo by Grandma Pearl

Robin perched in a nearby tree watching me!
Photo by Grandma Pearl
Further along I spied a deer peeking at me through two oak trees.  It's a young one: I suspect about 2 years old maybe.  It has lost it's winter coat, so that's a good sign that spring is really finally here.

Young deer peeking through 2 oak trees.
Photo by Grandma Pearl
The leaves are crunchy because we have yet to see much rainfall.  It's great to see there's no more snow, though!  
Squirrel nest high in oak tree.
Photo by Grandma Pearl







Junco foraging in leaf litter for bugs.
Photo by Grandma Pearl
There's a male junco foraging in the leaf litter for bugs.  I've seen them grab a leaf with one foot and then hop up and backwards, taking the leaf with them and causing it to turn over.  They are crafty insect hunters!


There goes a squirrel--
Too fast for me to catch with the camera, but I can see an old squirrel nest up high in a tree.  It has autumn leaves in it, so I suspect it was used at that time.
Junco checking out the dead grass for insects and their eggs.
Photo by Grandma Pearl
And there's another junco in a grassy area.  They like to look for juicy caterpillars to feed to their young.  I think it's a little too early in the season for that to be the case here, though.

I found an interesting rock that doesn't look like anything else around here.  I wonder where it came from?  It's yellow and has a chalky look and feel.
          
Yellow, chalky rock; the gray rocks below are more typical of this area.
Photo by Grandma Pearl

                                                                    
Sunlit forest floor; some old leaves are still hanging on from last year; there's an evergreen forest in the distance.
Photo by Grandma Pearl

On the way back to the house now, and the birds are very active at the feeders.   Chickadees, woodpeckers and nuthatches are happily zooming back and forth.  There's a nuthatch on the ground under the feeder.  I don't believe I've ever seen them do that before.  They're usually on trees and the feeder hanging upside down!

   
Nuthatch foraging on the ground.
Photo by Grandma Pearl





No comments: