Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Why Use Native Plants in Your Yard & Garden?

Today it is a cold 20 degrees, the wind is blowing and the snow is swirling.  Yet spring is not far off, and my thoughts turn to my newest garden for the birds.  I know that I want to plant native shrubs and perennials.  They have adapted well in this climate and environment, they won't be stressed by crazy weather conditions; and the birds, butterflies and beneficial insects all recognize and use the native plants to best advantage.    I love to use different columbines and bee balms as well as salvias and peonies.  Those are my favorites, along with astilbe and lilacs.  I'll use them for my basics and add on from there.  It's always so exciting to plan a new garden, especially to attract birds, butterflies, etc.  I hope the mulberry bush I planted last year has survived the winter and will grow fast this summer!  Once it sets berries, I will be looking for orioles, more grosbeaks, cedar waxwings and many more beautiful songbirds to enjoy its fruit.  I might even get a chance to sneak a few berries myself!
For more information on using native plants, and an extensive plant data base from which to choose, check out the Birds and Blooms Blog.  What are your favorite native plants?  Do you use them to attract birds, butterflies and beneficial insects?
Grandma Pearl

No comments: