Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Thursday, February 21, 2013

5 Ways to Attract Northern Cardinals to Your Yard

Male Cardinal Basking in the Sunshine
from Grandma Pearl

Before we moved to our present location over 20 years ago, my bird feeders were visited by male and female cardinals on a regular basis.  I always enjoyed seeing the bright red color of the males, and the lovely brownish-green tinted female cardinals savoring the sunflower seeds.  In fact, I took it for granted that cardinals would live wherever I lived.
Such was not the case, however.  At least 2 years passed and still I had no cardinals visiting my bird feeders near our new house in the wooded hills.  I had assumed they would automatically be drawn in just by providing sunflowers seeds, but I was wrong!
After much research I came up with a simple plan that would not fail to attract my beloved redbirds.
The best way to lure Northern Cardinals to your yard and gardens is to provide their favorite foods, a safe place in which to shelter and build their nests, a source of clean water and the right plants for their preferred habitat.  Here are my best tips for enticing cardinals to your property.
Grandma Pearl
Create a Bird-Friendly Cottage Garden in 5 Easy Steps
                                            

Cardinals like to forage on the ground for seeds.
from Grandma Pearl

No comments: