Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Identifying Birds

One of My Favorite Birds
Male Hairy Woodpecker
by Grandma Pearl

Need a cool birding app?  Check out:  iKnowBirdSongs.com to download.  15% of all sales go to the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to support their very important bird research.  In return, you can easily learn to identify your favorite birds by hearing their calls and songs on your PC or mobile device.

 Do you have a life list? 
I started mine many, many years ago.  But it is limited to my own region.  If someday I get a chance to travel, I will definitely go to places where a variety of birds are present.  Alternatively, birding festivals are a chance to see migratory birds you may never see anywhere else.  There's probably one near you--Here's the link to a list of birding opportunities:
www.birdwatchersdigest.com


Upcoming Birding Festival:

Festival of the Cranes in Socorro, New Mexico
Dates:  11-19 through 11-24-13
Where:  Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge

I Recommend:

It is filled with colorful illustrations of birds, grouped together with similar species, and well organized for easy reference. This is a combination of both the Peterson Guide to Birds of Eastern U.S. and Western U.S.  Range Maps are included, and the illustrations are large to make bird identification simple and fun.   I love this book, and refer to it often.





No comments: