Welcome to my Bird Blog!

Welcome to all my fellow bird lovers and gardeners! I'm so glad you stopped by.

Migratory bird populations have taken a nose dive in the past 40 years. But you can help bring their numbers back by creating beneficial, beautiful and fun habitats in your own backyard. Discover favorite plants and environments that shelter and feed colorful songbirds, as well as how to make them feel welcome by offering their preferred natural foods.

Grandma Pearl
(Connie Smith)

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Starthroat Hummingbirds and More from Colombia

Hummingbirds and Lots of Other Birds Migrate from Colombia Every Year!


This beautiful Hummingbird's breeding range is in Mexico and Panama, but it is typically found in Colombia, Bolivia, Brazil and other South American Countries.

The best way to see this gorgeous bird is to travel to its habitat.  Sign up for a South American Nature Tour, or go to Paton's Birder Haven in Arizona.

Here is an excellent video made by Colombia Bird Watch

You'll be amazed at the variety and color of tropical birds!  From the world's tiniest woodpecker, to the many-hued tanagers, to wetland birds including snail kites, this video takes you on a tour of Colombia's bird life.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

Pearl, I waited until the end of my work day to watch this amazing video and I'm so glad I did. The colors are astounding! There are so many species I don't know. I'm proud to say that we have the largest Woodpecker species (according to the video)right here in my backyard. I call it a red-headed woodpecker - reminiscent of Woody the Woodpecker. I've seen some that are at least 18" - 2' tall. They have a very tropical sounding song.

I love your passion for birds and how you spark that passion in your readers. Birds are amazing creatures. They're colorful, have their unique languages and are a joy to watch.

I learn from you with each and every post. Thank you for being you!

Unknown said...

Sha, you are so sweet and supportive! That's so neat that you have that woodpecker visiting your backyard!
I would love to visit the tropics some day and see what other wonderful and colorful birds live there. That would be an awesome trip. There are so many programs that involve youngsters as well as adults in South America. I love that they are dedicated to preserving their native species, and that they are actively educating their population to that end.
Thanks for visiting, my friend ;)